Thank you.

If you can pass my grammar errors and typos , then , you could enjoy my blog. I am not very good at writing, yet I write from my heart. You will know a little bit of me and the things that I treasure most in my life.
Thank you so much for visiting and for your grace and patience with me.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Remember the Sabbath day

At school we were studying the Ten Commandments, we got to the Fourth Commandment which talks about the Sabbath, the Lord's day. I started with God's grace teaching my kids and learning about it, explaining to them what does it mean to keep it holy and ways to do so.

One of the things we discussed, was watching no TV on Sundays, unless it was some movie about the Bible, instead of one just to be amused by. Among other things, which I have no intention of listing since God is working in us.

Both my sons, came a few mornings after the lesson, and watched a movie early in the morning soon after they woke up that had nothing to do with God. They were not keeping it holy. When I realized what happened I asked: what did you watch? they told me and I reminded them of what the Bible talks about in the Fourth Commandment and if they considered watching that movie something worth watching on the Lord's day. Their answer was ....... No, But we forgot!

Do you realized that is exactly the commandment? REMEMBER the Sabbath day, keep it holy. The commandment could have easily been: keep the sabbath day holy. But clearly says "remember the Sabbath". That is our job, to remember it.

Why is it easy to forget it then?. Because of the pressure of the world to do social activities on Sundays, because the game or movie is on, because that is the day I can do this or that... because of million things and we forget to keep it holy.

I have found in our lives that it becomes idolatry when we put other things before Him, other activities before His commandment, and our amusement before His service. This is the day to give to the Lord for our benefit and His glory. This is the day to put our pleasures, desires, traditions and excuses aside and serve Him, obey Him and REMEMBER the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

So with God's grace, I pray He'll help me to remember it. To do it in a way that is pleasing to Him......in a holy way.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Norma,
Good post. I have a question if you don't mind. Why is Sunday now called the Sabbath? When did it stop being Saturday?
I don't understand how the 4th commandment applies to our Sundays.

Norma said...

As I was writing this post, I thougt to be careful, since I was just studying this and I had to be wise in not write something false.
This is what I am studying...
Observing the Sabbath day, is a part of the eternal law of God.God blessed the seventh day and sanctified. On the other hand it was switched by the apostles in rememberance of the Lord's resurrection to the first day of the week instead of the seventh. In Isa.66:23 there is a prophesy that talks about future things and how there well be a Sabbath. I do not know all that there is to it, and I do not intend to make a doctrine on this. I beleive, God appointed a day to rest and for Him. Wether is Saturday or Sunday, I want to have a Christian Sabbath, Lord's day or whatever the name might be. It is something that if God thought to be good, it must be good to keep. I am trying to keep the Sunday for the Lord, but in a way of trying in my inability to obey the commandment of keeping the Sabbath day holy. But then again, I am learning as I go.. I do not know and understand many things. I do not mean to lead people astray with my writing and teach something false. It is something I'll understand and live by hopefuly one day..... The first day of the week, or the Lord's day, was just as much a day of rest afer six days of work as the seventh day Sabbath had been before.

Sara said...

Even as Christians the idea of a day of rest has been somewhat lost. Stores used to be closed, people didn't go shopping or out for lunch after church. Now people claim that it is they're Christian freedom to do as they like. As the Apostle Paul said, "everything is permissible but not everything is benificial."
I truly appreciate and agree with your response.

It is exciting to watch you grow more and more in Him and seeking to serve Him in all things.

boyscout said...

Norma,
I hope by now you understand the apostles never did switch the Sabbath to Sunday. Otherwise...
1 Cor 16 - the collection was crops, not money (you may want to check Greek), to feed the hungry in Jerusalem where there was a famine. Why first day? They were going back to the field after Sabbath rest and Paul wanted them to collect at the beginning for the week so when he came everything would be prepared. Why not money? Money would have no value for the hungry and supermarkets were not readily available at that point in time.